Monday, February 23, 2009

SUDOKU Art Quilt... Thought Process

I'm starting work on a new No-sew SUDOKU Art Quilt so I thought I would use this blog tofollow my thought process from beginning to end. It won't be a step by step how-to but rather my decision making-- starting with theme, fabric choices, and colors...
While shopping at Fabric Depot (a huge 1 1/2 acres of fabric store in Portland) during one of their 35 percent off fabric sales, I came across a pear fabric (above). I love pears and my house is filled with pear art... a preponderance of pears... I like to title or have a theme for my SUDOKU art quilts, then create with that theme in mind. The pear fabric set the theme and "Preponderance of Pears Sudoku" became the title. Next to choose the fabrics for the 81 sudoku squares (9 squares each of 9 different fabrics). I wanted the art quilt to include colors in my living room (raspberry/blue-green or yellow- green/yellow-orange) and decided on the rose fabric (above). I later learned that pears are part of the rose family so this fabric enhances my pear theme.

I used this fabric as a basis for my other color choices. A handy way to see exactly what colors are used in a fabric is to look at the color chart (circles) on the salvage of the fabric where it breaks down every dye that is used. Colors in the fabric include opposites on the color wheel: Red-violet (closest to red) and Yellow-green (closest to green) and accents of opposites Violet and Yellow.

These are my preliminary fabric choices. There are more than nine so I still have to decide which I want to use to represent base squares and which for embellishment or not to use at all. Notice I have a variety of values (light and dark). The squares of the sudoku quilt are only 2 x 2 inches. I'd loose my pears if I used that fabric as a square so I'm definitely going to cut out the pears and use them as a 3-D focal point embellishment on top of the #1 squares. That's where I am so far in this process...

Just to give you a sample of some of the preponderance of pear art that I have in my home... This is my Pear Wall in my living room. All the art, except the lower right corner art, is done by a local artist, Lin Haak. I love her whimsical art and of course it doesn't hurt that she highlights pears. Lin's art makes me smile.

I also use pears in arrangements to highlight other art. This arrangement is in my converted dining room built-in hutch. It use to have glass doors and shelves -- I took them out and now it's my art gallery. The watercolor is done by another local artist, Kaye Synoground. I framed and matted the watercolor print. Probably can't tell from the picture but I added texture to the white mat with a stamped clear embossed weave design and the inner dark border is fabric.

No comments: